Bedford Flag Trail

“By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April’s breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood,
And fired the shot heard round the world.”

from “Concord Hymn” (1836), R.W. Emerson

flag-fr-1

The Bedford Flag

The Bedford Flag is the most recognizable symbol of the Town of Bedford and is the oldest complete flag known to exist in the United States. History suggests that when the Bedford Minutemen marched to the Battle of Concord on April 19th, 1775—the start of the American Revolution—Bedford’s Nathaniel Page carried the flag. The flag is now on permanent display at the Bedford Free Public Library at 7 Mudge Way in Bedford.

8D4B7A34-1249-4DD6-9DD1-0B9FFDC3DDD5

The Bedford Flag Trail follows the line of march of the Bedford Minutemen from Bedford to Old North Bridge in Concord, part of the Minute Man National Historic Park. The Trail was marked in 2002 by Troop 194 as part of a service project, and is listed in the Boy Scouts of America’s register of Nationally Approved Historic Trails. Scouts from all over our region travel to Bedford to hike the trail and camp at nearby sites. Troop 194 traditionally hikes a portion of the trail each year on Patriots’ Day, a state holiday on the third Monday of April that commemorates “the shot heard round the world.”

Troops and others interested in hiking the trail can find more information below. For more information, email Troop 194.

Bedford Flag Trail Map (MA)

Bedford Trail Guide (and History) (MA)